Wednesday 27 February 2013

Chocolate Profiteroles

So I finally caved and made profiteroles for my boyfriend and housemates ( I hate them and eclairs). I was a little cautious due to a ball ache last time I made them - bearing in mind this was nearly three years ago for A Level Food tech. The main reason they can be so difficult is that they take up a lot of time , pots and pans and everything must be accurately measured.  Armed with Mary Berry and my own twists I accepted the challenge... The Berry would never let me down .

Ingredients:

  • 60g Butter cut into cubes 
  • 150ml of water 
  • 75g Plain flour 
  • 2 eggs lightly beaten 
  • 300ml whipped cream 
  • 2tbsp Icing sugar 
  • 2tsp vanilla extract 
  • 100g Plain chocolate 
  • 200ml double cream 

1)  Put the butter and water in a heavy based pan and heat until the butter melts . Bring to the boil but BE VERY CAREFUL not to melt the butter. 
2) Take the saucepan off the heat and stir in the flour with a bit of force until the mixture makes a dough(this should take 3 mins)
3) Leave to cool slightly (so your eggs don't scramble) then beat your eggs in gradually , beating well with each addition. This should give you a smooth and shiny paste. 
4) Butter a baking tray and sprinkle with water. Pipe twelve balls of pastry on the tray. Bake in a preheated oven at 220°C/gas mark 7 for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 190°C/gas mark 5 and bake for 20 minutes. Using a piping bag nozzle poke a small hole in each profiterole. Allow to cool. 
5)  I made a ganache for the topping but there are other recipes available and you can also do coffee profiteroles. To make the Chocolate ganache:   Melt 100g plain chocolate in 200ml Double cream until smooth and shiny. 
6) To make the Chantilly cream filling : whip  300ml of cream with 2tbsp of vanilla extract and 2tsp of icing sugar.
7) Once your profiteroles are fully cooled pipe in the wiped cream in the hole you made previously and dip your profiterole in the chocolate ganache . YUMMY! 
8) Allow the chocolate to harden. 
9) Place into your mouth and enjoy !!!!

So although I'm sure no french Patisserie will be snapping be up just yet I must say I was rather pleased and these were certainly a step up from the last time. I have also been assured they taste pretty fine too. 

ENJOY !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment