Sunday 15 September 2013

my summer in Canada #2

So you will have by now guessed or picked up on the fact that this summer I spent two months in Northern Canada. I worked as the head of cooking and as a counseller for 9 year old girls.  Although I loved being in Canada and I can truly say it was one of the best summers I've ever had - it certainly wasn't easy !
I thought I'd do a little bit of a pro's and con's list to the experience because quite frankly I've struggled to describe how fantastic this experience was. I also thought this was a great way of putting it into perspective for any one interested in doing something similar .

Pros- 

  • You are able to experience a new culture whilst earning some dollar and you can truly explore without feeling like a tourist. 
  • SUNSHINE!! Canada is a beautiful country and Camp Timberlane is a perfect example of this - based around a massive fresh water lake, camp was literally like the Parent trap (when Lindsay Lohan was cute) .
  • For me it helped boost my confidence , self esteem and helped me decide what I want to do with the rest of my life.- dramatic huh?  James and I are even saving our pennies to possibly live in Canada 
  • This gives you an opportunity to make amazing friends not only with your fellow staff but also the campers .  You also get to do and see things you perhaps wouldn't have the chance to do at home. 
  •  It's one of the best feelings to hear you've done a fantastic job :) 


So one of the biggest misconceptions of working in a summer camp is that you are just having a jolly good holiday and yes you get to have fun and chill - it is still a job at the end of the day. 

Cons- 
  • It is literally a 24 hour job , you  have to watch the kids constantly and a great responsibility is put onto you're shoulders - one of our directors did say 'when the child is at camp you become the parent.' 
  • You don't get a huge pay check and it is very very expensive to fly out etc...
  • It is a long time away from family and loved ones . 



No comments:

Post a Comment